(KFVS) - The United States Coast Guard is offering boating safety tips for hunters.
The Coast Guard says capsizing and falling overboard into cold water are major hazards for hunters. During hunting seasons, most waters are cold enough for a serious hypothermia threat.
They say responsible hunters need to be aware of the dangers and follow a few simple rules to make hunting on the water safer and more enjoyable. The tips include:
- Leave a float plan with someone at home, describing where you are going, who you are with and when you expect to return.
- Transport firearms to the boat unloaded, cased, muzzle first, with the action open.
- Always wear an approved and properly fitted life jacket when in a boat.
- Carry a throwable flotation device in case someone falls overboard.
- Stow visual distress signals on board.
- Know the weather forecast for the area. High winds can be dangerous.